Sunday, May 22, 2011

Look what's posting today!


Today I have a recipe up at Moda Bake Shop.  It's my second one, and I am so excited!  
Please click over and see.  
And would you leave a comment over there so that Moda knows you stopped by?  
I would so appreciate it.

I enjoyed this project so very much.  And once the quilt was finished up, it needed an accessory.
So I made this cute pillow from the scraps!
Read on for directions......

Draw a basic butterfly shape, approximately the size of your desired pillow size.

Piece together enough scraps to cover your shape.  Then cut your shape out of Heat N Bond and affix to your pieced fabric.

Cut it out and 
Iron onto your pillow front.  Mine measured 16" x 16".

Satin stitch around the edge of the butterfly.

Layer up your pillow front, then two layers of batting, then backing. 
 The backing will not show, so it's a good way to use up scraps.

I used two layers of batting so that the quilting would really show up well.

Quilt as desired.  This was a lot of fun for me because my 4-year old daughter helped me with it!
She put her hands on top of mine and we traced the echo around the butterfly together.

After I washed the front, the butterfly was a bit saggy.  So I cut into the backing and stuffed the butterfly part with fiberfill so that it's puffy.  The proper name for this is trapunto, I have since learned.

I used an envelope closure on the back of the pillow and some leftover binding from my quilt to finish it up.

36 comments:

  1. These projects are beautiful. Congrats on the MBS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous!
    I love the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That butterfly pillow is amazing! Congratulations :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great design. Just Wing It is one of my favourite fabric lines & this quilt shows it off beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I saw your design on Moda Bake Shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your design - I saw it at Moda Bake Shop too! I love the pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the pillow--I'm going to have to make one for my daughter! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gorgeous!! want to make, but it seems there is hardly a pattern I don't want to make, so where to begin??!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this pillow. My daughters have a butterfly room and this would look great there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for this. I love this idea and am going to make one this week. I never would've thought to do so on my own, so a huge thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the MBS tutorial! I think that butterfly would look awesome in Just Wing It. Gotta try it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely gorgeous. I love this!! I so have to try this sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this!!! I will be featuring it on my blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wonderful , i love the butterflies. thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the effect of that quilting. I wish I were a better quilter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. REALLY WELL DONE! Not too girly and great colors! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this! Very cute and fantastic colors!
    abcsemartin(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is a gorgeous butterfly! What pretty prints you used!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE the quilting on this. So cool. Probably requires quite a bit of patience.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It has never occurred to me to applique on a patchworked piece....gorgeous! Love the quilting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. wow.. i m impressed!!.. tq for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the quiliting on this pillow!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I confess after looking around I came back to your first post (Butterflies are my weekness). I love this idea. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What do you do with the fabric that is leftover after cutting out the design?

    ReplyDelete
  25. i have got to start quilting..what a cool design! ive never seen anything like it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness. I love the butterfly pillow. What a great idea. On the backs of my quilts, I usually applique the name of the receiver. That would be so cute on a girlie quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this! i like how you did this with the butterfly! it could be done with any thing! I always have to see it first before it becomes something i can do for some reason... sometimes I can reach outside myself. lol

    ReplyDelete
  28. Congratulations on your MBS project - cool butterfly

    ReplyDelete
  29. Congrats on your MBS project. I like your pillow.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love this butterfly and the quilting you did around it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi, I was over at Moda's site and found your great quilt and butterfly pillow. Both are great! Now I'm going back to Moda with more on my shopping list.
    Dian in Twin Oaks, CA

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ooh what a great looking project. LOVE the quilting around the butterfly. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete