Saturday, December 25, 2010

Wanna see what I made for Christmas?

Friends, I've been wanting to show you this project, but I didn't want to take a chance of spoiling the surprise in case my mom stopped by this blog... (hi, mom!)

I wanted to do something personal and handmade for my mom for Christmas, and I was quite inspired by Jacquie's post here ...  so here's what I ended up with!

I started from this picture that my daughter drew of her and her sister with my mom and dad:

And I had a Wee Play charm pack... so I picked out squares that I thought would be nice for the solid pieces....

And WonderUndered pieces for the bodies... "WonderUndered" is a verb, right?

And I used my redneck light box (also known as the back window) to trace the design onto a piece of cream fabric that apparently needs to be pressed...

 I ironed the bodies into place.  And I had her write names on a separate piece of paper so that I could place them exactly where I wanted them:

I added pieces from the charm pack around the edges.  No pictures, but you can imagine, right?

And then I layered up the top, 2 layers of batting, and another layer of cotton fabric
And quilted it in black using my daughter's lines as a guide.  
This took a lot of concentration, and it isn't perfect, but I love the way it captures her drawing!

I did everything on the machine except for the eyes, which were quicker/easier to embroider by hand.

I quilted the edges in cream using pebbles.

The backing and binding is out of the Wee Play line as well.

And here's the finished product:
I was so pleased with it!  
My daughter loved being involved, I was thrilled with the way it turned out, and my mom absolutely loved it.  
{ I love it when a plan comes together...}

8 comments:

  1. This is completely awesome! Drawings by children are always so cool and fascinating, anyway, and now you have turned the drawing into an item that your mom can use/display and treasure always!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How neat! I will have to bookmark this post for later use !

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son has lots of artwork around the house. Now I have some inspiration to draw from. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! I am sure your mom totally loved it!! I would!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a wonderful drawing my granddaughter made for me and I now know what I'm going to do with it. I never would have thought of using it this way! great idea...thanks so much
    Gmama Jane

    ReplyDelete