Monday, January 11, 2010

hey.... wait a minute... oh no!!

So.... last night I decided it would be a good idea to see how things were going to look on the quilt for my bed. I've gotten all 56 blocks made, started in on the sashing, and making good progress.... so here's the first 2 rows... and my shoe.
And then I put down the third row.... and thought "oh, it's upside down!"
So I turned it over. And thought "what the...?"
Yep, that's right. I put the sashing on sideways. On about... 16 blocks. Well, crap.

So now I have to answer the question---make it work or rip it out?

Here's basically what making it work (or "going with the mistake" as we would call it) would look like. Either way, I'll be adding more of the black sashing vertically between the columns.
Or if I go back and rip it out, the finished quilt will look more like this. Will still have vertical sashing added.
so what do you think? Go with it, or get out the seam ripper?

16 comments:

  1. Dear wendy your quilt is looking gorgeous! I love the colors and the fabrics lots! I would go with it!! :) Have a lovely merry happy week and love to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd also say to go with it. I think that the turned blocks gives a bit more interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that "going with it" looks great, but you've got to figure out if you're going to be disappointed every time you look at it once it's done. I'd judge it by that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually prefer the "go with it" look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First of all, good for you for laying it out when you did - at least you have a chance to work with it! Imagine if you'd finished all the rows and only one was different! And I say go with it - I like the sort of zig-zaggy effect it gives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The 'go for it' option looks great, I'd be happy with it! But as Susanne said, if you're going to feel a pang of unhappiness every time you look at it and think "mistake" then I'd rip it out and do it over. You need to be happy with it if you're going to put all that effort in to finishing it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no, just leave it as is and go with it. I actually think it's way way more interesting with the mistake.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I generally try to make things work, but if I were you in this case, I'd get the seam ripper goin', the second view is less busy and distracting from the lovely blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the "go with it" look. It actually looks less busy to me, because it looks like big blocks of four-sided stars, almost. (If that makes any sense.) Either way, though, it looks great! So dramatic!

    ReplyDelete
  10. go with it! don't look back, it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. At first I was going to say go with it, but the more I look at it, the more I think the flow of it is nicer when they're all the same way. But it's your quilt, and you have to be happy with it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the...ahem...inadvertant design!;o)
    It makes my eyes dance, the movement is great!
    Blessings,
    KT

    ReplyDelete
  13. there is absolutely no way that I would rip all that work out........ keep it! It looks good.

    I received my package yesterday. Thank you so much! I really like the lightbulb fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with the majority and personally like the "go with it" look better than the intended; however, like a couple have said, if you will feel a pang of "oh crap!" every time you look at it, get out the seam ripper!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  15. Go with it! I love the way the angles change - it makes it more visually stimulating!

    ReplyDelete