Saturday, March 27, 2010

A quilt for Grandma

My husband's grandmother turned 87 this week, and so I made her a quilt. I thoroughly enjoyed making it. It's a Tranquility charm pack plus some putty and chocolate brown solids. It went together really quickly -- I love charm packs!
The top was a little more traditional than I usually do, so I decided to try something new with the quilting.
I don't know what you'd call these. To me, they look like olives or corn kernels. I love how they turned out!
And then I stippled the putty sashing and left the brown alone. At one point I put some straight-line quilting in the brown, hated it, and ended up breaking out the seam ripper. I'm glad that I did, even though I really don't like picking out quilting!
And the back is a blue floral from my stash. Happy birthday Grandma!

4 comments:

  1. i really need to embrace charm packs!
    happy birthday to your grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great quilt!!! I need to buy some charm packs!!
    Blessings,

    KT

    ReplyDelete
  3. The seam ripper is a small sacrifice for such a pretty quilt. She is going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a nice quilt. I'll bet your husband's grandma will love it. You are lucky to still have grandparents that you know -- 3 of my 4 were deceased before I was born!

    And I love the generation reversal, since it's usually the grandmas who are making the quilts for the grandchildren.

    B/

    ReplyDelete