Thursday, July 9, 2009

I-SPY a swap!

My sister-in-law and I are co-hosting a swap called...
{drum roll}
I-SPY a swap!

The details:
  • The first 18 people to sign up here are in. Just leave a comment on this post, and make sure I have a way to contact you.
  • Each person will send (20) 4" squares from each of 10 novelty fabrics to Meredith by August 1.
  • You will receive (200) 4" novelty squares (enough for 2 small I-SPY quilts or 1 large one) We're hoping to send packages out by August 15th, but that depends on how long it takes everything to come in. Live outside the U.S.? No problem! Just try to get your fabrics to us a little earlier.
  • We'll post a list of participants' blogs on each of our blogs, so hopefully you'll go visit everyone's sites and leave some bloggy love, make some friends, and generally fill the world with peace and happiness.
  • Just because we like you, we'll even draw up and post some patterns you could use for arranging the squares in order to get a certain sized quilt.

A few thoughts and guidelines on the fabrics...

  • Most fabric stores have a dedicated novelty fabric section. But generally these
    are fabrics with objects... animals, food, people, etc. It may help to think in terms of things you could use for the I-SPY game. (I spy the letter G, I spy a sushi roll, I spy a monkey eating a banana, etc....)
  • In order to avoid duplicate patterns, go on a mission for some really obscure, hard to find prints that aren't available at the chain retailers.
  • No team prints or licenses characters (SpongeBob, Dora, etc.) So for example, a print with basketballs would be great, but a Dallas Mavericks print is not. Or a print with ducks wearing hats is great, but Donald Duck is not.
  • The object in the fabric should be distinguishable in a 3.5 x 3.5 square, which will be its finished size. Keep this in mind when choosing fabrics. Either go with small prints, or be ready to fussy-cut.
  • You can get (20) 4" squares out of a 1/4 yard cut of fabric or out of a fat quarter. So you'll need to purchase at least 2 1/2 yards of fabric.

What is an I-SPY quilt? It's a quilt made with novelty fabrics. And it's a wonderful toy to play I-SPY with. Great for traveling with kids or rest time or when you need something to occupy little ones. How to play? Take turns spotting something in the quilt, maybe "I spy, with my little eye, a frog in a tutu!" And the first person to point out the tutu frog on the quilt goes next, and so on. Hours and hours of fun!

If you want to participate, leave a comment on this post!

23 comments:

  1. Woo-Hoo! I just checked my stash and I found 10 prints :-) I have been on an I-Spy collecting mission and this will be perfect. Sign me up, please. andimc13-AT-yahoo-DOT-com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yip sign me up please! This would be perfect for the little ones in our house. Now off to the stash to see what I can find!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! I'm so glad I found this swap! I make quilts for Project Linus and they LOVE I spy quilts! (Like I need another quilt project right now! But I just can't pass this one up!) Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just signed up and forgot to let you know, I have posted this swap on the SwapDex to help spread the word. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. ME! ME! ME! I want in. I have tons of novelty fabrics. I have been putting off making an I spy because of getting enough fabrics. This is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll do it! (this comment will say Steven but it is really Annie) annie@thepurcell.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll do it! Score! thanks so much!
    Kritta22@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like in. sewing24@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. not sure if I have made the cut off but I hope to participate. This sounds like so much fun! You can find me at ncanadas@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So we send it 20 and get 200? How does that work mathematically? LOL I am in :) I think what you are saying is we can send 20 of the same print right? I would love to do this! my email is litlmelzie@aol.com please let me know what exactly to do and where to send! xoxo melzie

    ReplyDelete
  11. ok 20 squares from 10 fabrics! I get it LOL so we do send 200 and get 200 more. I didn't think that added up before ;) I am still in LOL litlmelzie@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to participate! Thanks for hosting this great swap! bethanygadams@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would love to join too! What a great idea to gather the prints quickly :) I am off to search my stash!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooh, I just got a massive stash gifted to me from a friend, and it is chock full of novelty prints that I had no idea what to do with them! This would be a perfect way to spread them about and maybe even actually use some!! I'd love to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Me too! I am so excited to make an I Spy quilt~

    Dkfranklin1 at yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. You said 18 participants ... if I'm comment # 16, can I still play ?!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this sounds great! i have a tendency to haunt the novelty sections searching out the most random fabrics i can find, and now i can see what other people are coming up with! :) i think i'm 17, so hopefully i'm in!

    whitterbon@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope I'm I'm not too late to join. This is a great idea.
    katherineemilycogswell@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll love to join this swap. Count me in.

    Lay Ngoh
    Singapore
    layngoh@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know I'm commenter #20, but if anyone drops out, count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my, I just saw this post! I am with Sara, if anyone backs out, please count me in. I have a number of different novelty fabrics right now I can cut and send in. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I saw this a few days ago and thought it was too late. But a friend in another swap told me to sign up anyway in case someone drops out-(Looks like others have the same idea.) If it's not too late, can I join?? just email me at kpscarlett at gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  23. can I join? can I join?? I have a super-abundance of obscure prints!! if not, maybe next time??

    ReplyDelete