Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The BIG jump

Here's a big jump for me. I attempted a twin sized quilt. A real one. For my little girl's big girl bed. It was a big deal. BIG!
Her walls are chocolate brown and light blue. I bought this fabric to start out:
Now, you should know a few things about me.
1. I like things planned out.
2. I like to know where I'm going at ALL TIMES.
3. Disorder is not my thing.

I cut everything into 2 1/2 inch strips. So here's what I started with, as in a basket weave quilt.
Nice. Orderly. Boring as hell.
Then Jacquie at Tallgrass Prarie Studio posted Project Improv, encouraging quilters to try something new or different. She suggested improvisational piecing as something to try. I suppose I had taken an extra dose of crazy that morning, because I started piecing random blocks with no earthly idea where I was going. Here's an early picture:( I like how the living room rug adds a bit of nausea here....)

It's a good thing I did go for the random piecing, because I realized later how large a twin size is... and that I didn't buy enough fabric.

Here's another in-progress shot:

And here it is on her bed. I love it! I'm glad I got out of my box.

No comments:

Post a Comment